Do I Need PR?

/
0 Comments
Alright, so lately I've been doing a little research on PR. Marketing and publicity is not really my forte or even something that I necessarily want to be spending my time doing, so it stands to reason that I might want someone else to do that for me. Right? Right. I'm thinking I'll need it eventually but maybe not right right right now...

But there are a few different kinds of ways you can go. You can go large-scale, boutique, or independent. 

What I mean by that is that if you have thousands (and I do mean thousands) to spend a month on a big PR firm, then you're looking at $10,000-$25,000 per month for their services. Granted a big firm will give you a lot of opportunity to get out there in the public eye, which is what you want. Most likely you won't need what they offer, though, since they tend to have large clients with a crap-load of marketing needs. You're just a little ole writer who wants to sell some books!

And so we move on...

Boutique agencies are smaller than the large ones (obviously), and they are priced competitively. They still cost anywhere from $2,000-$5,000 a month, though (that's rent, or a mortgage payment). Mama just doesn't have that kind of cash lying around. Perhaps if I was a bit more well-known and selling books from my ears, then I might consider it. But if you're looking for help with something like, say, a press release, then a boutique agency might be your choice. For only a few hundred buckaroos they can help you with a press release package, and I'm betting there are other affordable one-time services you can utilize every once in awhile.

Independent PR is what I might be looking more into in the future. They tend to be the most affordable of the three options, but may be a bit harder to get. Since it's only them, they can only take on so many clients. That and their pricing makes them a hot commodity and in low supply. But if you have pretty basic needs, such as myself, then you better try to find an independent PR person...and quick!


Well, that's all for today. 


You may also like